Friday, March 25, 2011

Our first ER visit

Unfortunately we have had our first ER visit with Matthew.  So sad.  We were playing at the playground and he let go of a hanging bar thing and slipped through my hands.  He hit a platform and bit through his bottom lip.  It was such a nightmare.  Luckily we are literally across the street from a hospital and so I ran to the car with a diaper attached to Matthew's face to control the bleeding.  Thank you Emily for taking Cannon - I am so grateful to have good friends down here who I can trust with my kids as I run away :)  

Anyway we got to the ER and got us in pretty quick to see a dr I think mostly because he was screaming so much we were disturbing everyone.   They decided they would need to sedate him to stitch but he had water and goldfish at the park so we had to wait about 2 hours until they could start that process.   Luckily by this time he had calmed down and just sat in my arms while I re-lived the nightmare in my head.  About 8 o'clock they came in to start the iv and the stitches.  He has 5 stitches in his lower lip.  We also had x-rays to make sure he didn't break his jaw.  Thankfully his x-rays were okay and now we just have to wait for the dentist to give her ok. 
It is scary to sedate your kids - the medicine they used was weird because the kids don't close their eyes and they say they have an "out of body" experience.  The nurse tried to explain it to Eric and I that it is like you are really drunk.  This didn't help us but ok.   He was a champ and we got home about midnight. 

It is so awful to have your kids hurt and to have been right there and not be able to stop it.  I think that has been the worst part.  I wish it would have been me  too bad we can't do some sort of swap thing with our kids.

4 days later
Matthew is doing awesome. The next day he mostly just ate yogurt and juice with a syringe. (he has reverted to a baby when they first learn to eat - disaster and all over his face)   By the end of the day he figured out how to eat crackers by breaking them and putting them in the back of his mouth.   He has continued to eat more and today is truly back to being busy Matthew.  I am so glad he has "recovered" so quickly.  I amso  thankful to friends who helped out and to Ryan who took time away from his family on Monday to come give Matthew a blessing at the hospital.

Here are some pics from the next day when he was sleeping...


1 comment:

joann auger said...

So sad!!! He looks so cute sleeping though. Glad he (and you) are doing better.